Personal Response Assignment
Read the following from Bill George’s book True North: Chapter 1 – Your life story. You will write a response essay to Chapter 1 (i.e. Chapter 1 will be your prompt for this essay). Use the 2015 edition of True North.
Write a personal response essay (1000 words) according to the patterns taught in Writing 101 class. This paper should include:
• APA format including Title page (no abstract/no subheadings)
• Introduction (Following the general introduction pattern from the Writing 101 Course Pack)
• Background Paragraph that outlines information about the book author and his theory, and includes a short (1-3 sentence) summary of the reading.
o The background paragraph must include secondary source citation: Using the internet, find additional source(s) of evidence about the author and/or his theory of leadership.
• Two (2) response body paragraphs that respond specifically to the information in the chapter above (choose specific key ideas, quotes, or situations). These paragraphs must follow the body paragraph pattern that appears in the Writing 101 Course Pack. Each type of response learned in class must be used at least once in the essay.
o In particular, the personal experience response must include reference to a personal leader (i.e. a parent/teacher/relative/coach); someone that demonstrates the leadership characteristic/quality you are highlighting.
o The comparative response must include reference to a public leader (i.e. a historical figure, political leader, religious leader, celebrity, etc.). An APA citation is required for the comparative response. Using the internet, find a source of evidence about at least one public leader you know that exemplifies one of the ideas that you learned about in the chapter above (either a positive or negative idea). The leader does NOT have to be a business leader (i.e. the leader could be a political leader, religious leader, celebrity, etc.), and must not come from the book chapter itself.
• Conclusion paragraph.
• References page including a minimum of 3 references (include the reference for the prompt, a reference for the source(s) used in the background paragraph, and a reference for the source used for the comparative response in the body paragraph)
NOTE: Remember that the purpose of a personal response is to critically interact with the prompt and demonstrate connections with your knowledge outside of the class. This is NOT a chapter review/summary. It is expected that you will choose specific ideas, quotes, or situations from the prompt and you will respond to them directly. Any essay that is not a personal response will not pass.
DUE DATE: October 15 by 6:00 PM