Two Parts: Formal Report and Presentation
In business, you will write a variety of reports, each having different purposes and audiences. Your project for this class is to prepare a formal report along with a presentation. This project will emulate various communication tasks you will encounter in the “working world.”
Read and complete all parts of the assignment below. Use this assignment sheet in conjunction with the course calendar to complete and turn in all assignments on the designated due dates.
A company’s culture has become one of the most important topics of discussion. Fortune’s “Best Companies” designees are many of the same companies listed in Glassdoor’s “Best Places to Work” and LinkedIn’s “Most In-Demand Employers,” illustrating that companies with strong positive cultures are now the most in-demand by employees. For example, Google strives to have the “best workplace in the world” with its extended paid parental leave, free food, unlimited vacations, fitness center, and bright open offices. Companies are assessing their cultures for several reasons.
For starters, the largest part of the workforce, Millennials, are demanding flexibility, mobility, and accelerated promotions. Second, every company’s culture is now on the Internet. People know if a business has poor management or a poor working environment. Third, companies have not kept up with human resource development, with management itself often driving the behaviors that make good employees leave.
You work for Fashion Forward – a company that creates clothes and donates a portion of its profit to nonprofit organizations. Your company’s president wants to renovate the culture. She wants to reduce employee turnover and make her company the place to work. She has asked that you study other companies and compile a report of recommendations to create a more compelling work-place culture. Your report should recommend at least three ways in which the company’s culture can be improved. Below is a list of work-place culture topics that you may choose from, though you are not limited to these topics.
Work-Place Culture Topics : ( Sustainably designed offices)
Title of Report• Sustainably designed offices for Fashion Forward Design
Part I: Formal Report APA format (Due November 7th)
Your formal report should include the following components:
• Title page
• Letter of Transmittal
• Table of Contents (includes list of figures)
• Executive Summary
• Report Body
• Conclusions and Recommendations
• Reference List
• The report should be a minimum of 11 pages, single-spaced with a minimum of 4000 words. This does not include the: Title page, Table of Contents and Reference List.
• use APA-Style for in-text citations. Style. Follow the APA-style reference page.
• The report should include five secondary sources integrated into the Introduction, Report Body and/or Conclusions and Recommendations sections.
o At least three of the sources (scholarly, academic, appropriate trade journals), though all five can be from here.
o Two of the sources can be from appropriate websites
o The sources must be thoroughly and effectively integrated into the report through the responsible use of quotations, summaries, and paraphrases. The in-text citations must be correct and quotations (from both primary and secondary sources) must be set up correctly and integrated into the discussion effectively.
• The report must also include at least one primary source – a survey.
o When surveying, a valid sample size is 10%. Let’s say the company you work for has 200 employees, which means that you will need to survey at least 20 people in your company for it to be considered valid. This is obviously a fictional scenario, so when you give the survey to people, they will need to fill it out as though they were employees for the fictitious company your group has created.
• The report must also include at least three visual aids or graphics into the report body.
o At least one visual aide or graphic should be created using the information collected from the survey.
o Other graphics / aides are welcome if they are part of secondary research your group utilizes.
o Visual aids are to be integrated into the report body
• The Reference page must be correctly-formatted and include all sources used in the report.
Some recommended school databases are:
• Academic OneFile – large general database
• General OneFile – large general database
• ProQuest – large general database
• Education Journals – find full text, peer-reviewed articles
• ERIC – very large education database supported by U.S. Education Dept.
• Opposing viewpoints – pros and cons on current issues
• CQ Researcher – controversial issues