Statement of the Problem (500 words) Write a two-page paper describing a health and human services concern facing the community in Fresno or your hometown. Bring a hard copy of this paper to class for Read & Respond on the date indicated in the course schedule. Following Read & Respond and instructor feedback; a revised draft of this will be submitted to the instructor via Canvas.
The paper will include:
Clear and concise identification of a community health or public human services concern/problem
Include identification of a specific demographic and/or geographic area (community), narrowing your identified concern to a manageable area
Specific to your problem statement, write to how you formulated the statement of the problem using the ‘Formulating a Problem Statement’ lecture and discussion:
Nature of Problem
Decide to Solve
Identify how this problem impacts / affects other health care professions and their work. This does not have to specify actual/multiple disciplines but should indicate how effective interprofessional collaboration could play a role in addressing the problem.
Preliminary identification of those affected by the problem/concern (those affected by the concern you will be investigating; this COULD include people directly affected, people/agencies in authority role, any individual, group who has a vested interest in the community/problem, can be those who have something to gain or lose if conditions change OR stay the same.
Summarize the problem including 1 – 2 inquiry questions that for consideration for your upcoming Needs Assessment/Literature Review
This Statement of the Problem will be the basis of your writing for the semester, you will follow this health and human services problem for the future writing assignments.
Needs Assessment Assignment Instructions
Needs Assessment (750 words) Based on your Statement of the Problem, write a three-page* paper that assesses needs related to your problem statement. Use the points provided as guidance.
Problem Statement (approximately 125 words, or ½ page)
Identify the community health concern in the region
Identify the specific demographic and/or geographic area (community), narrowing your identified concern to a manageable project
This is where you will craft a concise statement of the problem. This section can also include inquiry questions to frame your problem and direction of data collection.
Report on Data Collected (approximately 250 words, or 1 page*)
• You have created data collection tools (interviews, focus groups, surveys). Collect information from the individuals as stakeholders and/or gatekeepers that are aligned with the problem statement. Must complete 2 of the 3 needs assessment data collection tools:
This section outlines the type of data collected , who data was collected from AND the results
Describe participant demographics
Describe findings, this can be done in narrative format or through the use of graphics/tables (tables not included in word count)
*Provide the survey/interview/focus group questions as an appendix to your paper (this is not part of the word/page count)
Assessment of Community Needs & Resources (approximately 250 words, or 1 page)
Based on your statement of the problem AND your data collection summary you will write to further define the needs and resources within this problem.
• Identify additional key stakeholders (this includes agencies and organizations) and gatekeepers that could inform the assessment process
• Based on your sources of data findings, what are the needs and/or where are the gaps (the space between what is and what should be) in addressing your problem statement?
• What are the priorities (identify 1 – 2) to address this problem statement?
• Is there a need for additional research? What would your assessment do/ask differently in future?
Summary (approximately 125 words, or ½ page)
• Summarize the problem(s) related to the health concern identified based your findings
References (not included in word/page count)
• Include if you use any materials from agency/organization websites, peer-reviewed articles, etc.
• Begin on new page
• APA style
• Microsoft Word document, 1” margins, double spaced, 12-point Arial or Times New Roman font, correct and consistent use of APA style
Written Patient/Client Education Assignment Instructions
Patient/Client Education (500 words)
The purpose of this communication document is to educate and inform a patient, client, family,
or community group about the community problem you have identified. This is to be written in a
format that is best suited to your identified audience. Formats can include: pamphlet, two sided
flyer and must include original infographic.
The assignment is due via upload to Canvas and in hard copy on the date indicated in the
course schedule. (I am announcing revised dates)
Do not focus on word count for this assignment, but rather page number. Your document must
be two (2) pages. If creating a pamphlet, you may choose to print the pages front and back of a
single piece of paper, or it may be printed on two separate pieces of paper. Document must
follow the guidelines for written communication and universal design provided in the course
readings and discussed in class. You will create an infographic on to include on one of the
pages. You can use a free design program such as Canva (www.canva.com) to create an
infographic from one of many free templates they provide. You cannot include an infographic
found online, you must create it yourself.
As you are developing your written educational document, keep in mind your target population.
This could be the patient/client, their family, educators, general public, a specific subset of the
population, etc. Your word choice and writing style should be appropriate for that particular type
of person. Depending on your population and purpose, you may choose to include information
from all topic areas of your literature review or you may choose to focus in on one specific topic
Remember your goal with this document is to educate your target audience on a component of
your problem statement. Rather than thinking like a student, think like a health and human
services provider (nurse, social worker, health educator, etc.) who wants to share important
knowledge with their patient/client/community. Write and design your document in such a way
that the reader is engaged and wants to read more to learn about what you have to share with
Specific criteria that will be evaluated in grading the assignment:
• Language (word choice, writing style) used is appropriate for the target audience
• Content (type, quality, and amount) is appropriate for the target audience
• Content is evidence-based (information is from citations, not opinion)
• Document design follows guidelines provided in class readings and lecture slides on written
• Document is visually appealing and designed to engage the target audience
• Document is two pages (looking for space used appropriately on the correct number of pages
rather than word count)
• At least one of the pages must include an infographic that you create
• Citations are included for data included on the assignment