Academic Essay: 4000 words max/min excluding charts, diagrams etc. with the following hypothesis as the title:
“In order to sustain a competitive advantage and/or deliver value for money, both the private and public sectors must rigorously adhere to the traditionally accepted concepts, theories and elements of Strategic Management and Strategic Project Management”.
The essay should contain:
1. Identification, critical analysis and evaluation of the concepts, theories and elements of Strategic Management and Strategic Project Management and the importance of both in achieving organisational success – 30%
2. An application of the concepts, theories and elements of Strategic Management and Strategic Project Management to an analysis and critical evaluation of two real world case study examples, one public sector and one private sector – 40%
3. A discussion on the relevance of the hypothesis based on the content of sections 1, and 2, contemporary Strategic Management and Strategic Project Management research and knowledge and your own experience. – 20%
The assessment is worth 100% of the module. It will be submitted and assessed electronically.
Assessment criteria / marking scheme:
1. Concepts, theories and elements: The extent and quality of the identification, critical analysis and evaluation of the concepts, theories and elements of Strategic Management and Strategic Project Management which demonstrates an understanding of the importance of both in achieving organisational success – 30%
2. Case Studies: The depth of insight and the quality of application of the concepts, theories and elements of Strategic Management and Strategic Project Management displayed in the analysis and critical evaluation of two real world case study examples, one public sector and one private sector – 40%
3. Hypothesis: The quality of discussion and conclusions drawn on the relevance of the hypothesis based on the content of sections 1, and 2, contemporary Strategic Management and Strategic Project Management research and knowledge and the experience of the author. – 20%
4. Quality of Presentation: The work should set out its arguments in a clear and concise manner with specific care to ensure readability, good sentence structure, avoidance of jargon and explanation of acronyms, etc. Consideration should be give to the appropriate structure, with the formation of thematic paragraphs to create a logically flowing report. It will be beneficial to support the text with appropriate figures and tables. This also requires a suitable and proportionate reference List. – 10%
Strategic Management Assignment Brief
80%+ Very good
50-59% Borderline fail
40-49% Significant fail
Evidenced Excellent and impressive Extensive knowledge Good knowledge of Fairly wide Little knowledge of Poor and does not
Knowledge of theoretical knowledge of theory and theory and practice knowledge of theory theory and/or really understand
subject areas well linked with practice practice and / or practice practice theory and / or
Critical Analysis Excellent analysis and Very good analysis A good depth of Some analysis, and There are significant Lacks any cohesive
and Evaluation understanding of and understanding of analysis with a reasonably gaps in analysis and focus or analysis and
materials materials reasonable appraisal competent / or understanding shows little
understanding understanding of the
Case studies, Excellent case studies Very good Some good case An attempt at case Limited case studies Poor or non-existent
Conclusion & and conclusions that link conclusions and studies and studies and and conclusions no case studies and
Outcomes theory and practice case studies that link theory and practice conclusions and evidence of linking theory and practice conclusions and linking theory and practice, but not entirely successful real linkage between theory and practice conclusions and no attempt to link theory and practice
Presentation and referencing The presentation and referencing style is excellent and adds substantially to the readability of the work Very good presentation and referencing style giving a readable result Generally good presentation and referencing style Reasonably well presented and referencing with a style that can be clearly understood The presentation and
/ or referencing style of writing detracts from the work Poor presentation and referencing writing style
Originality A very original and innovative piece of work that is an exemplar in its field A very good attempt to produce original and innovative work
and / or inventive Not in itself innovative, but uses a fresh approach or
inventive An attempt is made at originality but with limited success Little or no attempt at originality, innovation or inventiveness An uninventive and poor re-hashing of unoriginal ideas
Page 3 of 5
The online Manchester Library is a good source of references at this academic level as the Library subscribes to the leading information sources. Please use references from the past 5 years.
References must be used in order to strengthen any points that you raise in your discussion.
Your discussion must be your own words and, where you have used someone else’s words (quotations), they should be correctly quoted and referenced in accordance with the Harvard System.
References are not included in the word count.
Note: The marks awarded will be converted to a percentage in order to obtain the final mark for the assignment.
Academic Integrity Statement: You must adhere to the university regulations on academic conduct. Formal inquiry proceedings will be instigated if there is any suspicion of plagiarism or any other form of misconduct in your work. Refer to the University’s Assessment Regulations for Manchester Awards if you are unclear as to the meaning of these terms. The latest copy is available on the University website.
There will be an opportunity for formative feedback during the module. You are advised to start working on this assignment as early as possible so that you can seek clarification from the module tutor regarding any questions you might have during the semester. Note that tutors will not predict your grade, and you should not take the lack of comment on any aspect of your work as indicating that it is correct. You should make every effort to take advantage of formative feedback as tutors will not comment on draft work at other times. Remember that you will get more useful feedback from us by asking specific questions than just presenting us with your documentation and asking, ‘Is this right?’
Penalties for Exceeding Word Limits:
The following penalties will be applied after any reductions in mark due to late submission have been made, Penalties will be applied as defined in the University Policy on Word Limits Policy.
The actual word count is to be declared on the front of the assessment submission.