A project description is an informal document that highlights the key attributes of a project. It is designed to initiate a conversation between the idea origination and the rest of the organization.
Project Description & Outcome
The car industry has changed significantly over the past ten years. When cars were first invented the initial thought was that they would always run off gas and nothing more. However times have changed and now we can use electricity to power cars. In terms of benefits electric cars are much safer for the environment and the cost of electricity is significantly lower than gas. For the purpose of this project we are looking to expand on an existing car company’s product line to introduce electric cars into their line up. The company has given the timeline of one year to come up with a design, figure out how manufacturing will work, and estimate a cost for the car. The company is looking to have the car in production by early 2023 to meet their drop date of 07/01/23.
More and more existing automobile manufacturers are looking to expand their product lines to offer new products to consumers. In past years typically the only major change cars have seen is a slight change in body and a few upgrades to the electronics in the car. However the recent rise in gas prices and high demand for other alternatives are changing how cars are manufacturers. To produce an electric car the most significant overhead cost would be the battery cost. However in recent years as more electric cars are being produced that cost has significantly dropped. In addition president Biden has also set out a nationwide goal to have 40 to 50% of all vehicles sold in the USA be electric. With a single charge, consumers can be able to travel over 200+ miles. By starting to get into the electric car industry now we can leverage existing research that has been introduced in the industry as a way to get started.
Project Constraints & Challenges
● Design and manufacturing layout must be completed before 1/1/23 to ensure time is left for manufacturing before product launch on 07/01/23.
● Resources must be on boarded or allocated to project before EOY to ensure that timeline is followed
● Since 5 teams are going to create the car four individual project managers should be assigned per team.
● Push from leadership is heavily driving the project. Any changes in leadership from now to product launch can expect project to be pushed back.
● Additional resources should be available if needed in the event a team member leaves the project or any sickness to make sure the deadline is still met.
Project Cost Project Effort Start/End Dates Project Sponsor
$5,000,000 – $7,000,000 Design – 10 team members
Finance -10 team members
Engineering – 10 team members
Sales / Marketing – 5 team members
Research and Development – 3 to 5 team members
Estimated Hours: 83,200 hours Minimum 12 months
1/1/22 – 12/31/22 Company Leadership