HISTORY PSA ASSIGNMENT
NOTE: YOU SHOULD BE FOCUSING ON SOCIAL MOVEMENTS COVERED IN THIS COURSE.
Social movements and issues have been discussed and addressed throughout history. There
were actions taken that included using pamphlets to create announcements to successfully
repeal the Stamp tax in 1766. During the 1940’s and 1950’s, posters were made encouraging
the public to invest in savings in war bonds. In this assignment, you will demonstrate your
personal and social responsibility by developing a public service announcement to raise
awareness, change public attitudes and behavior towards a social issue that is important to you.
1. Topic: Select a U.S. historical social issue. Think about U.S. events and movements from this
course. You are to show application of the readings and must use a U.S. history event. Describe
your social issue.
2. Resources: Research on your topic. You are required to provide at least two resources on the
project. Please use academic resources. Outside resources are permitted. However, please
consider using the library resources and databases. These should be placed on the flyer,
PowerPoint or poster or paper.
3. Target Audience: Consider your audience. Consider the words, visuals, and/or graphics you
would use to convey your message. Include at least 1-2 images that focus on your social issue. If
you are using images that are not created by you, you must cite or include a reference.
Remember copying someone’s work is plagiarism. You are to use your own original work. Please
also not that you cannot submit work that has already been submitted to another course. This is
self-plagiarism. If you use someone’s content or wording, this must be cited and referenced.
4. Questions: Answer the following questions on the PSA Assignment. You will need to answer all
of the questions.
This should be at least 2-3 pages. (This does not include cover letter or reference page)
• What is the social movement that you have identified in this course? Discuss your
understanding of what you learned about it in this course. What are some of the issues
that prompted this movement?
• What are the arguments for or against this issue?
• What is your position on this social movement? For or Against this movement. Please
explain why you selected this choice.
• Do you think that this movement is effective? Why is this movement important?
• What does this movement reveal about your knowledge of other cultures or groups?
• Do you agree with the actions taken to resolve this issue in this movement?
• Should actions have been taken to address or help this group? What would you have
• Reflect on your own experience or knowledge about social movements at work, school,
or in the community. What impact have social movements made in these areas? OR
Reflect on what insights you have gained in this course about social movements.
5. Format: Create a flyer, poster, or a 2- to 3-slide PowerPoint presentation designed to not only
gain support for a specific social cause but to generate immediate response or action. You are to
include the responses to your questions on the flyer, poster, or powerpoint or on a separate MS
6. Submission: Submit your flyer, poster, or PowerPoint to safe assign. You will need to use MS
Word, PDF for PowerPoint format only for this assignment. (You may convert Powerpoint to PDF)
(SafeAssign accepts files in .doc, .docx, .docm, .ppt, .pptx, .odt, .txt, .rtf, .pdf, and .html file formats only. Files of any
other format will not be checked through SafeAssign.)
PSA Historical Resource Examples and Grading Information
HISTORY 1301 EXAMPLES
Additional PSA Examples
AD Council PSA song with Stevie Wonder
Stevie Wonder on Drunk Driving (lifesafer.com)
U.S. Government Bullying Campaign flyer
A Tour Through StopBullying.gov Infographic
The AD Council
Our History | The Ad Council
PSA Assignment 50 points total
1. Topic: Select a current or historical social issue. Please see the examples provided below.
Worth 5 points. Topic should be clearly identified.
2. Resources: Research on your topic. You are required to provide at least 2 resources on the project.
Please use academic resources. Outside resources are permitted. However, please consider using the
library resources and databases.
Worth 5 points. Resources should be listed on the project/flyer/poster/PowerPoint. Not separate.
References are also required.
3. Target Audience: Consider your audience. Consider the words, visuals, and/or graphics you would use to
convey your message. You will need to include your own images. If you use images from an outside or
another resource, this must be cited/referenced.
Worth 5 points. Project includes words/visuals and/or graphics to convey a message to the
audience. Message is concise, clear and free from grammar and spelling errors.
4. Questions and Format: All questions must be answered on the format document or on a MS Word
Document. Create a flyer, poster, or a 2- to 3-slide PowerPoint presentation designed to not only gain
support for a specific social cause but to generate immediate response or action.
Worth 30 points. Project is submitted in the requested format either flyer/poster or a 2-3 slide
5. Submission: Submit your flyer, poster, MS Word paper, or PowerPoint to safe assign. The project must be
submitted to safe assign. You will need to use MS Word, PDF for PowerPoint format only for this
assignment. (You may convert PowerPoint to PDF) (SafeAssign accepts files in .doc, .docx, .docm, .ppt,
.pptx, .odt, .txt, .rtf, .pdf, and .html file formats only. Files of any other format will not be checked
Worth 5 points. Project is submitted via safe assign.