Assignment 1.5 Instructions
In this assignment, you will write a short paper explaining the research topic, the research problem, and the research question(s) for a peer-reviewed journal article in the area of human factors.
Research topics are distinctly different from research questions. A research topic is a broad area of investigation. Examples of research topics are:
• The role of flight deck human factors in preventing aircraft accidents
• Human factors in unmanned aircraft systems
• The impact of AI on aviation safety
Note that none of these topics meet the criteria for research questions articulated in the Problem-Solving Primer in the previous assignment. Examples of research questions within those larger research topics are:
• Can commercial airline pilot behaviors be classified according to the four key attributes of resilient performance? Can a taxonomy of resilient performance be articulated from investigating airline pilot behaviors in routine operations?
• How far away do sUAS operators typically fly their unmanned aircraft? What proportion of Part 107 flights are conducted Beyond Visual Line of Sight (BVLOS)?
• What is the impact of explainability of artificial intelligence on Air Traffic Controller trust in AI?
As you begin to formulate your thoughts for the IAHF conference, it is critical to distinguish between topics, problems, and questions and to start thinking in terms of research problems and research questions.
Navigate to the Hunt Library, and using the database of your choosing, select one peer-reviewed journal article related to human factors in aviation. Include a link to the article. Write a narrative that explains the research topic, the research problem, and the research question(s).
Your submission should be 250-300 words, not including the title page and references page. Your paper should be formatted in accordance with current APA rules, with a title page and references page.
Your paper will automatically be evaluated through Turnitin when you submit your assignment in this activity. Turnitin is a service that checks your work for improper citation or potential plagiarism by comparing it against a database of web pages, student papers, and articles from academic books and publications. Ensure that your work is entirely your own and that you have not plagiarized any material!