1. In Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Cask of Amontillado,” Fortunato is a foil to Montresor. What is the most important difference between these two characters?
• This is not a research essay. Please do not incorporate secondary sources into your essay. Your only sources should be the primary sources we have read and discussed in class.
• Do not write this assignment in pairs or groups! Please do your own thinking and submit your own work!
• Please read my comments in response to Essay One and Outline Two (return to Turnitin.com, select the assignment you wish to consult, and then select Response). If you have any questions at all about these comments, please make a point of asking them.
• If necessary, revise your outline.
• Next, please review the following documents; you’ll find them all posted on LEA under Documents / Resources:
o Body Paragraphs
o Quoting Prose
o Academic Integrity
• Finally, write the essay that your new, revised outline describes. The essay should be about 750-1000 words. Please do not exceed 1250 words.
• Choose an easy-to-read, twelve-point font.
• Double-space everything – no exceptions. (Please note that space-and-a-half is not sufficient. Ensure that the entire assignment is double-spaced.)
• Number the pages in the top right-hand corners.
• In the top left-hand corner of the first page only, please type:
o Your name,
o My name,
o The course (either the name or the number will do),
o The due date,
o The number of the topic you have chosen.
• Center a title on the next line down. Please choose a title that reflects the essay’s contents, i.e., the ideas it discusses, and also the text(s) it addresses. Here’s an example:
Joy and Redemption in Tobias Wolff’s “Bullet in the Brain”
• Give the word count at the end of the essay, i.e., after the conclusion but before the Works Cited page.
For each of these instructions that you fail to follow, one point will be deducted from your grade, to a maximum of five points.
The final page of your essay should be a Works Cited page. This page should be numbered, like the others. Center the words Works Cited at the top of the page and cite your text(s) in accordance with MLA procedures.
Please use the course edition(s); otherwise, your page numbers won’t match mine, and I won’t be able to find your quotations. The proper citations of the course editions appear on pp. 5-6 of the course outline, under the heading “Bibliography.” Please feel free to copy and paste.
Note that, on the Works Cited page:
• entries should be alphabetized by authors’ last names;
• the first line of each entry begins at the left-hand margin, but every line that follows is indented.
The grading of this assignment will be as follows:
• Introduction: x / 15
• Body Paragraphs: x / 30
• Conclusion: x / 10
• Evidence (Quotations): x / 10
• Policy 36 (English-language usage): x / 25
• Format (Presentation and Works Cited): x / 10
• Total: x / 100
Percentage of Final Grade:
Late Assignments / Missed Tests:
Assignments which are not submitted by the specified due date without a valid reason (e.g., medical certificate) will be penalized at a rate of 5% per day late (including weekends). Failure to submit an assignment to Turnitin within eight days of the deadline will result in a grade of zero.