Purpose of Assignment: To familiarize students with the health care facilities within the tristate area and services provided.
The assignment must be completed prior to class. The information will be used during the group discussion.
· Search Health Care Facilities in Delaware, Tristate Area
· Select one of these: CCHS/ St. Francis/ Beebe Hospital
· Select one of these: John Hopkins, University of Pennsylvania Hospital, CHOP, New York- Sloan Kettering or Columbia Hospital
· Compare and Contrast facilities
· What service stands out for each facility?
· What stands out as the SPECIALTY Care of each facility?
· Compare ER’s Status ( What level Service offered?)
· NICU ( Level of Service ?)
· Other services. Orthopedics/ Cardiac/ Neurology/ Pediatrics
· Tertiary Care: Highly Specialized medical care usually over an extended period of time that involves advanced and complex procedures and treatments.
· For instance, in Alexandria Virginia, Inova Fairfax Hospital is renowned for high survival rates of heart transplants. ( Pre/Post Care)
Application of information researched:
· If you were sick with cancer, heart failure, lung transplant, pediatric orthopedic issue, cornea transplant? Where would you go for care?
· Example: Patient with End Stage Renal Failure
· Facility: CCHS
· Specialty: Kidney Transplant
· Example: Head and Neck Cancer
· Facility: John Hopkins
· Specialty: Head and Neck Cancer Department
· Describe a medical condition and select the facility which would meet the needs of the patient to successfully provide medical care.