Task: Write an Intelligence Information Report
Your previous assignment preparing an Information Paper impressed the Director of Freedonia’s Intelligence Service. Your boss has recommended you for a trip abroad because you have strong analytical skills, are well versed on terrorist organizations, and speak multiple languages. It is not unusual at all for analysts to travel for area familiarization and to attend conferences within their subject matter expertise.
For this assignment you will travel to Brussels, Belgium and attend the European Union (EU) Justice and Home Affairs Conference on Terrorism. Your objectives are to collect all the information you can on European Union members policies towards the new wave of terrorism. Freedonian diplomats and senior defense officials will need this information when it is properly analyzed. While the conference is in French there will be simultaneous translations in English which is almost always the case. Most people there will also speak English allowing you to use the language you perfected at your University.
You will attend this conference as a representative of the Embassy of Freedonia. At no time should you associate yourself with the Freedonian Intelligence Service. Your area desk officer and the Embassy security officer will provide you additional details. Capture as many of the following Intelligence Collection Requirement as possible.
Specific Priority One Intelligence Requirements for this event are as follows:
1. Identify the policy positions of each EU member nation to terrorism
2. Identify differences between stated and private policy positions between EU Justice and Home Affairs representatives.
3. Identify any EU intended counterterrorist, law enforcement, and security actions
4. Identify any EU actions (or statements of intended action) against international criminal organizations or arms trafficking
5. Specific plans for sharing of intelligence or information between nation states.
Priority Two Intelligence Requirements for this event are as follows:
1. Biographic data on EU Justice and Home Affairs personnel.
1. biographic data
2. language capabilities
3. education levels
* Instructor’s note: Get ready for some intense work. There are a few rules you must follow in order to make this a realistic exercise in discrete (but not clandestine) intelligence gathering:
1. Your Intelligence Information Report (IIR) should not be more than three pages long including the header provided for you in the template.
2. You will report watching a video as if you were actually attending the event. The video is 25 minutes long.
3. Capture and report ONLY what you hear and see. Do not interject your own opinion, Internet sources, or any other information.
4. TAKE NOTES. You can only watch the video once. Once played, it will not play again. You are NOT allowed to stop the video or rewind. Working in this manner will give you a far more realistic experience. You only get one shot at this.
5. Do NOT have the Intelligence Collection Requirements in front of you when doing this exercise. You will not be able to walk around with them in-country so commit them to memory beforehand.