According to our textbook, globalization is the increasing economic, political and cultural integration of diverse cultures. Diversity is the recognition and valuing of difference in factors such as race, education, religion and income. Are we able to adapt to cultural differences on our own? Would education aimed specifically at cultural awareness make us more tolerant of others? The study in the article below explores the concepts of intercultural education and ethnocentrism.
The purpose of this assignment is for you to explore your own feelings about these sensitive issues.
Read “The effect of Intercultural Education on the Ethnocentrism Levels of Prospective Teachers” by Selma Aslantas (https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1212381.pdf)
Write a 500-600 word reaction essay in APA paragraph format (12 font, double spacing and indented paragraphs) that answers the following questions:
1. How does the author define intercultural education?
2. How does she define ethnocentrism?
3. What was the purpose of this study?
4. What were the results of the study?
5. Have you had any type of diversity training or intercultural education prior to this course? Explain briefly.
6. If you have not had any training, describe what could be gained from it.
To Complete the Assignment:
• For examples of APA style papers and Reference lists, click on the Library link inside the Student Resources icon to the left of this page.
• When you get to the Library Home Page, click the Citation Guides link on the left side of that page.
Look for APA format.
• You do not need to include a title page for this short essay.
• You can center a title at the top of the first essay page and center the word count under the title.
• Submit two files: One for the essay and one for the Reference list.
• You need to add one scholarly source to your essay.
• The outside source can be a book, ebook, journal article or streaming video.
• These items can be accessed through our FSW online Library. (https://researchguides.fsw.edu/home)
• Follow the rubric at the bottom of the page for additional guidelines.
The Reference Page
• Add an APA Reference list that includes the book and the outside article.
• The reference list does not count in the word count.
Evan Reaction Essay Rubric
Evan Reaction Essay Rubric (updated Sp 22)
Criteria Ratings Pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeWord Count 10 pts
500-600 words 8 pts
400-499 words 6 pts
300-399 words 4 pts
200-299 words 2 pts
100-199 words 0 pts
Less than 100 words
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeScholarly Source
In addition to the assigned reading and the textbook. 10 pts
Meets requirements 0 pts
Does not meet requirements
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeArgument
Student clearly supports their position on the topic and demonstrates that they read the assigned article entirety. Includes a short summary of the article. Argument is logical and supported by an outside scholarly source. 10 pts
Meets requirements 7.5 pts
All requirements met, except summary of assigned article is missing. 5 pts
No outside article 0 pts
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeAPA Format
Assigned article, textbook, and outside source all documented in-text and in a Reference section in APA-style.
Formatting also follows APA format in terms of indented paragraphs, double spacing, 12-point font, and 1 inch margins. 10 pts
Meets requirements 0 pts
Does not meet requirements.
Total Points: 40