Texas Foster Care System
At least 23 children have died in Texas’ long-term foster care system since summer 2019, according to a new report by courtappointed monitors for state agencies in charge of the system. Six of the children died as a result of either neglect or abuse by
caregivers. Another is suspected to have died from abuse. Five more deaths are also still under investigation. The 387-page report
was released ahead of a hearing in the decade-long lawsuit over foster care in Texas. It detailed “some progress” state agencies have
made toward improving foster care but stated that “serious risks of harm to children persist,” “It’s the safety of these children that’s
at stake here,” U.S. District Judge Janis Jack said during a federal court hearing following the release of the report. “That’s the most
important thing we have … and I expect Texas to live up to its duties to keep these children safe.” (Texas Tribune, 2021).
Papers must have 5 pages of narrative, not 4 ½ pages. 12 point font, double-spaced, standard one inch margins, no extra spaces,
between paragraphs. Your paper must have a cover page and reference page that is not included within the 5 pages. A paper’s
content is essential but please keep in mind that this is a college level paper and so ensure that the paper is free from spelling or
Documentation must follow the APA (American Psychological Association) guidelines. APA can be labor intensive, please allow
yourself time to adhere to all APA guidelines. See the following resource: (http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/).
All of your sources can come from the internet but must be cited following APA guidelines. In addition, no Wikipedia, Abstract
Required, see my example on the left tab.
There are NO minimum number of sources you should have for this paper as I would like this paper to be driven by quality and not
an arbitrary amount of sources. I also have additional sources on the left tab of Blackboard titled: Sources for the paper.
These are required elements that should be included in your paper:
1) Historical Background: Please outline the reasons why Texas is in the current foster care situation. There were numerous
deaths, detail how that happened.
2) Report: Please detail some of the main findings within the Texas Foster Care Litigation. You do not have to outline
everything but some of the major points.
3) State Response: What has the state of Texas stated in defending the state and what was the response. What was the
response to the lawsuit.
4) Texas Legislature- see Texas Legislature Online website. Under Additional Searches: Click Text Search. In All Words Box, Put
Foster Care and click search. Find one bill that connects with the work you have been doing.
5) Political Climate: Use your textbook: Inside Texas Politics (Chapter 1-The Struggle for Texas) See the 3 political cultures:
Individualistic, Moralistic and Traditionalistic and explain how this foster care fits into the subcultures.
6) Analysis: If you a senator or a house member, what kind of legislation would you initiate in an attempt to assist with this
problem. Could any of these deaths have been prevented? Why or Why not? What is the average amount that Texas
reimburses those providers within the system? From you perspective, is this amount enough? What would be the ideal
amount of money? Provide 2 strengths of the TEXAS Foster Care System. Provide 2 weaknesses of the TX Foster Care
system. IF you were a spokesperson for the STATE of TEXAS, detail at least 3 talking points that you would use to explain
where the state has been and the plan for the state as they move forward