ACCT 424 -ETHICS IN ACCOUNTING -Spring 2022
ETHICS MOVIE and JOURNAL GROUP Presentation and Paper
Due Date – May 3, 2022
PRESENTATION: These are the parameters for the Business Ethics Movie AND Journal Group Presentation:
1. Each team will pick a DIFFERENT movie to view during the semester.
2. Each team will incorporate a MINIMUM OF AT LEAST ONE Journal of Accountancy or similar reputable journal into their presentation and ethical paper
analysis (I have provided useful ones in Cougar Courses).
3. The movie AND journal article must have a business setting or deal with business ethics and relate to the materials we have covered in class.
4. Prepare and present the PowerPoint or similar presentation lecture to the class.
5. You may use video links.
6. Items to include in the presentation
a. Psychological ethical theories of thinking and behavior of each of the characters involved in the ethical dilemmas
b. Deep analysis of ethical rules broken
c. Discussion of any AICPA/GAAP/SEC rules that are involved and discuss rules that were broken AND THAT they had to adhere to.
d. Rights and duties of the parties
e. Procedures that could have avoided the ethical issue
f. How a CPA would analyze the situation and what a CPA or a non-licensed accountant would most likely do.
g. Discuss leadership/managerial/financial statements/earnings management issues.
7. An explanation of how the ethical dilemma could happen in a company in real life.
8. Any examples of companies that have had any similar ethical issues in the news.
9. PROVIDE backup of your opinions from the information you have learned from the BOOK. i.e. cite rules or specific principles
10. PROVIDE backup of your opinions from the information you have learned from your ETHICS JOURNAL ARTICLE (many are provided in the course and can
be found on Cougar Courses).
11. Include lessons learned from the MOVIE AND ARTICLE to develop “Suggested Rules of Conduct for a Successful Accounting Career.”
ETHICAL PAPER ANALYSIS PAPER:
• Include all the items in the presentation in written academic paper format.
• Full sentences should be used, and more information can be added to the paper to supplement your presentation.
• Minimum Page Limit: 10 Pages
• Maximum page limit: None
• The paper thoroughly explains what is in your presentation topic. The paper is not just a copy of your slides; it is an academic analysis of the MOVIE AND
JOURNAL ARTICLE with the issues described above.