Change can be difficult, even when it is inevitable. Therefore, change can often be met with resistance initially. Individuals resist change for many reasons, such as fearing the unknown, feeling overwhelmed, or believing a change will not last. However, once the resistance is overcome and a change grows into a habit or new baseline, most individuals will consider the effort worthwhile and may also do what they can to help others surpass the barriers they once faced. In this Discussion, you will consider a time when you resisted change and how you might use that experience to help a team overcome their resistance to changes.
To prepare for this Discussion:
· Think about a time when you needed to make a change, whether personal or professional, but were resisting it and what helped you overcome that resistance.
· Also consider the role of a leader within an organization in helping individuals and teams overcome resistance to change.
Post your explanation of how to overcome resistance to change at the individual and organizational level, to include the following: (200 words or more)
· Describe a time when you needed to make a change, whether personal or professional, but resisted it.
· Analyze what was holding you back initially from making the necessary change and what helped you to overcome your resistance to the change.
· Now put yourself in the position of a team leader within an organization. If you were called upon to lead change within your team and you encountered resistance, summarize how you might apply those lessons learned from your own life experience to help that team overcome their resistance to change.