· FOR EACH PAINTING JUST LIST OUT THE 7 VISUAL ELEMENTS TERMS AND 7 PRINCIPLES OF DESIGN TERMS AND EXPLAIN WHAT YOU SEE DO NOT RESEARCH, LOOK AND EXPLAIN
LINE- Lines in this painting are curved in some places and diagonal in others
SHAPE- Shapes in this painting include the circle that is the sun and the triangle roof of the house
1. Line: what types of lines do you see in the piece? Provide examples.
2. Shape: what types of shapes do you see? Provide examples.
3. Mass: How is mass implied?
4. Space: How is the illusion of space created in the piece?
5. Time and Motion: Are time and motion evident in tis piece? How so?
6. Light: How is light used here?
7. Color: How does the artist use color?
8. Texture: How does the artist create the illusion of texture, or incorporate actual texture
Principles of Design
1. Unity and Variety: In what way is this piece unified and how is variety integrated.
2. Balance: how is the piece balanced and how does the artist accomplish this.
3. Emphasis and Subordination: What is the focal point and how is it emphasized?
4. Directional Forces: what leads our attention to the area of emphasis?
5. Contrast: Are elements that are strongly different? Consider colors and value also.
6. Repetition and Rhythm: What elements repeat in the composition
7. Scale and Proportion: Consider the relationships between things and their size
PLEASE DO FOR ALL 5 BELOW
· Circle of Diego Quispe Tito. The Virgin of Carmel Saving Souls in Purgatory. Late 17th century.
· Henri Matisse. Large Reclining Nude. 1935.
· Faith Ringgold. Tar Beach. 1988.
· Henry Ossawa Tanner. The Banjo Lesson. 1893. – DO THIS ONE TWICE- 2 DIFFERENT ONES
· Andy Warhol. Marilyn Diptych. 1962. – DO THIS ONE TWICE- 2 DIFFERENT ONES