How you present yourself to others is an important part of being a social worker. Being able to present yourself in an open, caring, and professional manner helps with building rapport and influences your clients’ willingness to share their experiences. You also must be skilled at interacting with clients who are different from you.
Interviewing skills are also very important, as you have seen, and social workers must be mindful of how to conduct an interview in a culturally competent and culturally sensitive manner.
In this Assignment, you have an opportunity to practice your engagement and assessment skills. You conduct an interview with an individual from a different culture than your own to learn their perspective about culture and gender. The goal is for you to explore the cultural norms within that ethnic or cultural group.
Be sure to review the Learning Resources before completing this activity. Click the weekly resources link to access the resources.
· Identify an interview subject.
· Download the Interview Presentation: Questions handout from the Learning Resources.
· Ask your interview to subject the questions found in the Interview Presentation handout. Be sure to record the interview (with participant’s permission) and/or take good notes.
· You will not submit the interview itself. You create a presentation about the interview.
· Record a PowerPoint presentation. Your video should be 4–5 minutes but no more than 6 minutes.
BY DAY 7
Submit a recorded PowerPoint (PPT) presentation about your interview with a person from a different culture than your own. Your PowerPoint presentation should include 8–10 slides and should be 4–5 minutes in recorded length.
In the PowerPoint presentation, address the following:
· Identify basic background information of the interviewee.
· Provide a summary of what you learned about the individual when conducting this interview.
· Identify the skills you used to address the differences between you and the interview subject.
· Describe your reaction to this activity.
· Reflect on these reactions, and explain why you believe you may have experienced these thoughts and feelings.
· Describe what you learned, and explain which additional social work skills you could apply or could have applied when working with this individual.
Please remain mindful of confidentiality and privacy of the interviewee when presenting information in the educational environment.