To prepare for this Assignment:
· Review the article, “Sources of Informal Social Control in Chicago Neighborhoods,” paying attention to various sources of informal social control. Also consider why methods of social control may develop in disadvantaged neighborhoods.
· Search the Internet and select a peer-reviewed article that addresses issues of social control.
Assignment (1–2 pages):
· Analyze the degree to which social control theory explains engagement in criminal behavior.
· Analyze the degree to which social control theory explains the prevention of criminal behavior.
· Based on your analysis, explain how useful control theory might be for understanding and explaining the nature of criminal behavior.