Analytical Research Paper: students must submit a formal, APA style research paper, emphasizing legal and ethical issues in crime analytics.
The paper must explore one particular issue/controversy/topic confronting the criminal justice system, consistent with the thrust of the course. Each student must address the
following points in her/his Analytical Research Paper:
1. Introduction: Explain what you are investigating and why. In other words, justify the
need for the analytical research! (2 pp.)
2. Literature Review: Review the recent social science literature on the crime analytics issue/controversy/topic you selected (in the last 5 years). (6 pp.)
3. Discussion: Explain in detail the legal issues and ethical concerns that are linked to your
crime analytics topic.
**In your Discussion, please examine the relationship between
surveillance, security, and privacy in the digital age of crime control. (8 pp.) ***
4. Implications: Given your commentary in the Discussion section, what changes or future
directions, if any, would you recommend? (4 pp.)
5. Summary: Present a comprehensive summary/conclusion for your paper. (2 pp.)
References: APA style reference list (3 pp.)
The Analytical Research Papers are to be typed, double-spaced and are to be approximately 25 –30 pages in length, inclusive of references. There is no minimum or maximum on sources, but a recommended good paper should use at least 15-20 sources minimum.