Effective instructional methods and engagement strategies create a meaningful way to have students actively learn. Implementing more student-centered learning models allows students to make connections between what they know and what they are learning, and then apply it in different situations.
Allocate at least 3 hours in the field to support this field experience.
Observe and discuss the following with your mentor teacher:
Part 1: Inquiry
During this field experience you will observe a secondary classroom in one of the humanities content areas or social studies (history, social sciences, and geography), the arts (visual and performance), or English/ELA (reading, writing, and oral language), paying particular attention to the instructional method the teacher utilizes. Following your observation, collaborate with your mentor teacher and inquire about the following:
· What instructional methods do you use? How do you decide which instructional methods are best suited for each lesson?
· What strategies do you use to integrate all areas of humanities in a lesson?
· What strategies do you use to assess student learning before, during, and after instruction?
· What strategies do you use to engage students in learning?
· What is your strategy to group students for a lesson/project?
Part 2: Collaboration
In addition to your observation and discussion, share with your mentor teacher the requirements document you created detailing the requirements of future field experiences for this course. Specifically address the following:
· Discuss ideas for your lesson plan in an attempt to correlate with the topics the mentor teacher will be covering.
· Schedule to assist the mentor teacher with a specific lesson during Topic 4 that will require you to interact with students.
· Schedule the implementation of your lesson plan during Topic 6 with the class or a small group.
· Identify and meet with a school librarian or media resource specialist and discuss how to integrate technology with your lesson.
Use any remaining field experience hours to assist the mentor teacher in providing instruction and support to the class.
In 250-500 words, summarize your observation and collaboration with your mentor teacher. What methods and strategies discussed do you anticipate using in your future professional practice? Based on your conversation with your mentor teacher, how prepared are you to meet the requirements in the future field experiences?
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
Document the locations and hours you spend in the field on your Clinical Field Experience Verification Form.
Submit the Clinical Field Experience Verification Form to the LMS in the last topic. Directions for submitting can be found on the College of Education site in the Student Success Center.