After reading chapters 12 and 13, respond to the following questions:
· How and why did the agricultural and mechanical training that Hampton Institute and Tuskegee Institute offered gain so much support among both black and white people? why did black colleges and universities emphasize learning trades and acquiring skills?
· How did middle-class and prosperous black people try to contribute to the progress for their race? Were there efforts effective?
· How did middle-class black women contribute to the advancement of African Americans?
· What were the reasons for the widespread outbreak of race riots during the first quarter of the twentieth century?
· Explain why African Americans began to leave the rural South in the early twentieth century, and describe the types of lives they made for themselves in urban communities?