A major skill that is learned in this course is how to critically read and appraise nursing research articles according to the guideline found in your textbook.
The purpose of appraising an article is to critically evaluate the research process followed by the author(s) of the assigned article. This is an informationintensive, time-intensive process that is not learned overnight. To demonstrate your skill at appraising an article, you will complete this open-book
Here’s how you should approach completing this week’s assignment to begin appraising an article:
1. First, do your assigned reading in Gray and Grove (2021) each week. This will introduce you to the critique skills you will need for the week.
2. Skim the entire instructor-assigned research article that has been posted on CANVAS in Module 1 Reading and on the assignment so that you will have an
idea of what it is about. For this week, re-read carefully the introduction/literature review /theoretical framework and methods sections of the article again.
3. Print the Research Article Appraisal, Part Two Assignment and find the best answer to each question based on your Gray and Grove (2021) assigned
readings and on what you have read in the instructor assigned research article.
4. Some of the questions in the appraisal assignment below will seem unfamiliar to you. Look up key terms from the questions in your textbook. Some
examples of these terms might be problem statements, hypotheses, or variables. You can also look in Chapter 18 for an example of a critical appraisal of a
quantitative research article.
5. You will write your answers for this assignment using the paper guideline found below. Use complete sentences and correct grammar. NO QUOTES ARE
ALLOWED IN THIS ASSIGNMENT as this is to be your appraisal of the content. Refer to APA to assist you. Answer every question. Once completed, upload
your assignment to the assignment submission link by the time and date listed on the Course Schedule.
6. Feedback will be provided after all assignments for this week have been entered for credit.
Your assigned article for an appraisal is:
Petursdottir AB, Rayens MK, Sigurdardottir V, Svavarsdottir EK. Long-Term Effect of Receiving a Family Strengths-Oriented Intervention on Family Cancer
Caregiver Stress, Anxiety, and Depression Symptoms: A Longitudinal Quasi-Experimental Study. J Fam Nurs. 2021 May;27(2):114-123. doi: