Template for the Working Knowledge Assignment
1. General Topic: (example: Asian Americans in television). Note: You should focus on any one of the following, as the topic of your Research Paper: race, gender, or class.
2. Research Question: (example: How are Asian-American depicted on television? Are there any patterns when looking at the way AA people are represented? If so, what might explain these patterns?)
3. Key words and phrases:
Develop a list of ten keywords and/or phrases that will help you locate your material. Remember from class that the keywords need to be specific enough to locate what you want.
4. A list of FIVE sources you have located and read. Please put these in MLA style. Note: if you have found a whole book, please just read the introduction or a particularly apt section for now.
5. Write 250 words (one double spaced page or more) on what initially sparked your interest in your topic and on what you have found so far. From what you can tell in your research so far, what is the conversation to this point? What are people are saying? What are the various debates or questions?
6. From what you have read, who would you say are some of the key thinkers/scholars/writers on your topic? Which individuals or groups of people seem to care about your topic and why?
7. What are your next steps? That is, what else do you need to know to continue on with your project? What questions do you still need to answer? Are there particular databases that you want to check out? (Note: Try to be specific in your response. A mere “I need to do more research.” is not enough.