Chosen artwork: Persistence of Memory by Salvador Dali
Task 1: Visit a major museum (virtually)
You will need to virtually visit a major museum. Choose a single work of art to analyze. You may select a work of art from any culture or any point in history.
You can use the Art Analysis Worksheet opens in new window to collect your information. Remember, you are not to submit this worksheet–this is for your benefit only.
Task 2: Write a 500-600 word analysis of your chosen work
Your analysis should be between 500 and 600 words and should include detailed information about the work, where it is located, its formal elements/principles of design, the Critical Core component and your interpretation of its content, and how from relates to content to create unity. Create your work as a document, and save it as a pdf.
An image of your chosen work is required. Your image should be labeled with the artist’s name (if known), title of work of art (underlined, italicized or in quotes), medium, date, size (approximate if not listed) and image source the museum that own the rights to the image and or the name of the person who took the photo.
Your analysis should contain 5 paragraphs
1. The first paragraph will need to include the name and location of the museum, title of the work of art, artist name, date, medium and size. Avoid just listing these items. Instead, try to make this information descriptive (in essay form).
2. Next, a paragraph about form (how the work of art has been organized). When writing about formal elements and principles of organization, imagine you are describing the chosen work to someone who can’t see it. Be sure to use the vocabulary words you have learned so far (Chapters 3-7). Here are some questions you should think about (be sure not to limit yourself to these questions): How is harmony created? Where is the focal point? What kind of balance is utilized? How is space arranged?
3. PGCL: your third paragraph will address the PGCL component of our course, ‘Personal Growth and Cultural Literacy: Key Indicator 1: Students will demonstrate cultural awareness’. You will need to research the culture of your chosen work of art and write about how the work relates to its culture’s history, values, politics, economy, or beliefs and practices (you need to select just one of these areas). If you know the name of the artist, you may include some information about him/her as it relates to that artist’s culture. Please cite your sources.
4. The fourth paragraph should contain your interpretation of subject matter and content (Chapter 1). When writing about content, back up your opinion in a thoughtful way. Saying you like something isn’t enough…you must investigate why. You might want to include what you learned about the work’s culture.
5. Your last paragraph should consider the main aspects of form (how the image is composed of the formal elements and principles of design) that you have described in paragraph 2 and relate them to the content of the work. This should summarizes how form relates to content and creates unity in a work of art.
Avoid exceeding 600 words (use the Word Count in MS Word, for example).
Task 3: Submit your work
Create a document with the following:
-Your chosen image, labeled correctly
-5 paragraphs (detailed above)
-Please double space your lines in your paper. This allows me to comment directly more easily.
Save your document to your computer as a pdf.
attach your pdf document to the submission link