STEPS TO THE ASSIGNMENT:
1. Watch the entire video series “One is One Too Many” (CNO) (20 minutes of online time): To watch the video series, go to the CNO website, where the video is split into six brief sessions (for streaming). It will take about 20 minutes to watch all sections. Watch each section: introduction, neglect, financial abuse, verbal abuse, sexual abuse and the conclusion.
2. Reflect: Consider the videos regarding what was presented, how they made you feel, what you thought of the nurses involved, and how the video will impact your professional practice.
3. You should set your paper up with an introduction, body/discussion and conclusion/summary. While APA is usually written in the third person, because of the reflective need in this work, use “I” statements such as I viewed, I felt, I saw, I concluded…
4. Using the “LEARN” format and your notes on reflections from watching the video, look back on what you have seen, learned from professional standards, professionalism and how it will impact your practice as a team member and as an individual nurse caring for clients. You will need to make general statements about the entire series, but you may focus on one or two areas for the body of your reflective thinking.
5. Seek out further learning from professional journals (four) on the area you are reflecting upon, and explain how the reference supports your learning. For example, your journal supports may cite information on the impact of abuse, financial abuse, and/or neglect.
6. Each letter in the LEARN cycle can be a paragraph
Look back – a paragraph
Elaborate and describe – a paragraph
Analyze outcome – a paragraph
Revise Approach – a paragraph
New Trials – a paragraph
7. Analyze your reactions to determine your strengths and weaknesses (areas for development) concerning the prevention of client abuse. Follow the LEARN process (CNO, 1996) to identify how new learning will be integrated into your practice. You may want to cite references on the process of reflection and how it relates to practice in your work.
8. You should conclude your paper with a discussion of relevance to nursing practice, specifically to your practice, to client abuse as a professional issue or some relevant conclusion of your own choice as developed from your reflection and learning. A personal element should be the final result of reflective learning.
9. After writing your reflective paper, complete and attach to your essay a learning goal (stemming from your reflection)
S Specific Learning Goal focused and clear. What do you want to learn or achieve? What activities will be needed to achieve this goal? Goal:
M Measurable. Can you quantify how it can be measured (e.g. review two standards)
A Attainable. Can it be? Be realistic. Resources?
R Relevant. Be sure it applies to your role and future practice.
T Timeline. Explain your timeframe, start date, by when, deadline/expected date.