Coursework Assignment brief
Company chosen: Nike
Answer following questions critically analyzing the performance of a company (Nike)
In your report, you should cover the following aspects:
1. Briefly describe the business and its scope of operations, and analyze the industry sector or sectors in which the business operates.
2. Analyze the competitive environment for the company using Porter’s 5 forces. Critically reflect on what you learnt by using Porters 5 forces, and discuss any limitations.
3. Assess the company’s business model and discuss its value proposition. What are the company’s sources of revenue and how does it seek to sustain profitability?
4. Summarise the financial performance of the company. What conclusions can you draw from the data available to you?
5. Briefly assess the environmental, social and governance performance of the company. What is the company doing well, and where can it improve in this area?
6. Based on your analysis, outline the future prospects of the company. Would you consider it a good investment?
Instructions to Writer:
In your work, as for all PHD-level work, make sure you critically reflect and reference published material using a standard approach for referencing.
Referring to the marking scheme,
• Reading – engage with the literature, particular with the academic literature (e.g., books, journal papers, and academic conference papers)
• Analysis – demonstrate the critical writing, provide own arguments based on the sourced literature. Avoid using too many quotes.
• Formatting – for referencing, you may want to start using a referencing tool (e.g., EndNote or Mendeley. You can start building the references library now, which could be useful when it comes to writing the dissertation project
• Use Harvard Referencing
Marks will be allocated as follows
1. Argument: Response to the task set 20%
2. Understanding: Grasp of relevant issues 10%
3. Reading: Engagement with literature 10%
4. Analysis: Reflection, thought, & conceptual framework 30%
5. Evidence: Empirical knowledge & use of examples 10%
6. Writing: Use of language and logical flow 10%
Marking criteria are outlined above. Overall mark for the coursework will follow the classification guidelines in Table below.
Common causes of lost marks
• Not reading the question carefully. Not answering the question(s) asked.
• Submissions that are significantly less than the advised word limit; these tend to comprise points that lack explanation or any depth / strength of argument.
• Unjustified sweeping statements. Points made in your argument should be supported by appropriate references.
• Bullet lists without context or discussion.
• Copying out large chunks of text from sources, which tends to reduce the amount of student’s own analysis and argument.
• PLAGIARISM – please make sure that you are familiar with the guidelines.
• POOR REFERENCING – see the guidelines on referencing which follow.
Quality of the work as presented Mark Range (%) Classification1
Outstanding contribution to the discipline that, with minor changes, is publication quality.
Content, approach, critical insight and writing all outstanding. 86-100 Distinction Level
Demonstrates clarity, excellent understanding of the topic, analytical ability and critical thought. These are achieved through, and evidenced by, comprehensive reading, comprehensive analysis, originality in the application of knowledge, making excellent judgements. Writing and logical flow actively contribute to the conveying of ideas. 70-85 Distinction Level
Clear understanding of the topic, with a well-organised and informed approach. Evidence of good analytical skills, critical thinking and a logical argument, but does not display the depth of knowledge, critical acuity or originality in the application of knowledge of distinction level work. Writing style and logical flow are generally sound such that the students understanding is clearly demonstrated. 60-69 Merit Level